(This article will be updated continuously. It was originally published on January 28, 2020. It was last updated on August 7, 2021)
Details of COVID-19 availability in all ten ASEAN countries and another 30 Asian nations.
Due to the developing situation in China and Asia concerning the Coronavirus, we will be operating this article as a running live update service to keep businesses involved in ASEAN and Asia updated with the latest relevant regional news.
For specific updates concerning China and related business advisory, please click here.
Please refresh the page to get the latest updates.
ASEAN coronavirus updates (Live updates by country)
Brunei has joined the global Covax scheme and is expecting to have the COVID-19 vaccine in Q1 2021, having sourced enough supplies to cover 50% of the population. Discussions are on-going with other suppliers.
- Brunei reported one new case on August 5, taking the total to 339 amid three deaths.
- Brunei saw one new case on August 1, taking the total to 338 cases amid three deaths.
- Brunei reported one new case on July 31, bringing the total to 337 amid three deaths.
Cambodia is expected to import vaccines from both China and Russia. China’s vaccines are still undergoing clinical trials while Russia has already commenced production. Australia has offered financial support to aid vaccine coverage in several southeast Asia countries including Cambodia.
- Cambodia recorded 588 new cases and 19 deaths on August 6, taking the totals to 80,813 cases and 1,526 deaths.
- Cambodia reported 591 new cases and 19 deaths on August 5, bringing the tallies to 80,225 cases and 1,507 deaths.
- Cambodia recorded 583 new cases and 17 deaths on August 4, taking the totals to 79,634 cases and 1,488 deaths.
Indonesia has commenced vaccinations with just over nine million doses being given to front line workers from last month. China’s Sinovac is in discussions with Indonesia to provide supplies, however, the Government faces difficulties with a large population of 270 million. Indonesia’s Health Ministry’s Disease Control and Prevention Director-General Achmad Yurianto said that vaccinations would only be provided to citizens aged 18-59. The vaccine has also been required to pass halal certification prior to use and it is uncertain how the country can source enough vaccines to reach a sizeable part of its population.
- Indonesia recorded 39,532 new cases and 1,635 deaths on August 6, taking the totals to 3,607,863 cases and 104,010 deaths.
- Indonesia saw 35,764 new cases and 1,739 deaths on August 5, bringing the tallies to 3,568,331 cases and 102,375 deaths.
- Indonesia recorded 35,867 new cases and 1,747 deaths on August 4, taking the totals to 3,532,567 cases and 100,636 deaths.
Laos has been trialing the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and is also in discussions with China about acquiring supplies.
- Laos saw 267 new cases on August 6, taking the total to 7,778 cases amid seven deaths.
- Laos saw 206 new cases on August 5, bringing the total to 7,511 cases amid seven deaths.
- Laos recorded 290 new cases on August 4, taking the total to 7,305 amid seven deaths.
Malaysia is to provide vaccines free of charge to its nationals, but foreigners will need to pay for the treatment, according to the Malaysian Minister of Health, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who has signed a deal with Pfizer for 12.8 million doses. These will be administered in two stages of 6.4 million people each, with the program to commence in Q1 2021. The country aims to inoculate between 80-100% of its citizens.
- Malaysia saw 20,889 new cases and 160 deaths on August 6, bringing the totals to 1,224,595 cases and 10,179 deaths.
- Malaysia reported 20,596 new cases and 164 deaths on August 5, bringing the tallies to 1,203,706 cases and 10,019 deaths.
- Malaysia recorded 19,819 new cases and 257 deaths on August 4, taking the totals to 1,183,110 cases and 9,855 deaths.
Myanmar is seeking assistance from the Gavi and Covax programs to acquire vaccines, while Australia is also providing financial relief. At present, the Government aims to treat 20 percent of the ‘most at risk’ in the country with vaccines. The Government is struggling with finances and logistics and is also under US sanctions, while cases are surging. The Government has banned the celebration of Christmas and other seasonal celebrations.
- Myanmar saw 3,588 new cases and 274 deaths on August 6, bringing the totals to 322,838 cases and 11,262 deaths.
- Myanmar saw 4,135 new cases and 293 deaths on August 5, taking the tallies to 319,250 cases and 10,988 deaths.
- Myanmar recorded 4,051 new cases and 322 deaths on August 4, bringing the totals to 315,118 cases and 10,695 deaths.
The Philippines aims to commence vaccinations from June 2021 and expects to inoculate about 25 million people (about 25 percent of its population) over the course of the year. The country has been badly affected by the virus and has the second-highest rate in Southeast Asia. The business community has reacted, more than 30 local companies signed an agreement to purchase at least 2.6 million vaccine doses from AstraZeneca in the country’s first such deal to secure coronavirus vaccines, ten days ago. They plan to donate a large part of the doses to the government for its planned vaccination program and use the rest to inoculate their employees.
- The Philippines saw 10,623 new cases and 247 deaths on August 6, bringing the tallies to 1,638,345 cases and 28,673 deaths.
- The Philippines reported 8,127 new cases and 196 deaths on August 5, taking the totals to 1,627,816 cases and 28,427 deaths.
- The Philippines recorded 7,342 new cases and 90 deaths on August 4, bringing the tallies to 1,619,824 cases and 28,231 deaths.
Singapore has been working on producing its own ‘Lunar’ vaccine, in a joint venture between the US company Arcturus together with the Duke-NUS medical school. It is a single dose, mRNA shot, developed from genetically engineering COVID-19 genes into an otherwise harmless virus. This technique is marginally safer than other vaccines which rely on dead Covid-19 material to provoke an immune response. The vaccine is expected to be available from Q1 2021. High-risk personnel will receive the vaccine first in a process to be determined by the government.
- Singapore reported 97 new cases on August 6, bringing the total to 65,605 cases and 40 deaths.
- Singapore reported 98 new cases and one death on August 5, taking the tally to 65,508 cases amid 40 deaths.
- Singapore recorded 95 new cases and one death on August 4, taking the total to 65,410 cases amid 39 deaths.
Thailand is currently expecting vaccines to be delivered in mid-2021. The doses would cover 13 million people in a population of about 69 million. Thailand’s National Vaccine Institute signed a non-refundable advance market commitment contract worth 2.38 billion baht (US$79 million) with AstraZeneca to reserve the supplies. Discussions are also on-going with Oxford University in the UK to secure a vaccine that could be available in Q1 if trials are completed in time.
- Thailand recorded 21,379 new cases and 191 deaths on August 6, bringing the tallies to 714,684 cases and 5,854 deaths.
- Thailand reported 20,920 new cases and 160 deaths on August 5, taking the totals to 693,305 cases and 5,663 deaths.
- Thailand recorded 20,200 new cases and 188 deaths on August 4, bringing the tallies to 672,385 cases and 5,503 deaths.
Vietnam’s National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology (NIHE), a division of Vietnam’s Ministry of Health, has signed an agreement with Medigen Vaccine, a Taipei, Taiwan-based vaccine company to secure the supply of 3 million to 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses in 2021. Medigen is currently conducting Phase II studies of the vaccine, co-developed with the USA’s National Institutes of Health (NIH), in Taiwan and Vietnam with a view to a Q1 2021 rollout.
Vietnam is also working on producing its own vaccine, with the Institute of Vaccines and Medical Biologicals (IVAC) in Nha Trang City, partnering with New York City-based Icahn School of Medicine and the global health non-profit organization PATH. Phase 1 trials are already underway in Vietnam, while Phases 2 & 3 will be conducted at the beginning of 2021. The institute plans to submit documents for approval to the health ministry as early as April next year and claims to be capable of producing 30 million doses a year, expecting that a national vaccine could be distributed to the general population in October 2021.
- As of August 6, 2021, Vietnam’s Ministry of Health confirmed a total of 189,066 cases of COVID-19. However, 58,040 of the affected patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals. Vietnam has also recorded 2,720 deaths due to the pandemic. The latest community transmission cases have been reported from Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong, Long An, Tien Giang, and Dong Nai among others.
- As of August 5, 2021, Vietnam’s Ministry of Health confirmed a total of 181,756 cases of COVID-19. However, 54,332 of the affected patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals. Vietnam has also recorded 2,327 deaths due to the pandemic. The latest community transmission cases have been reported from Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong, Tay Ninh, Long An, and Tien Giang among others.
- As of August 4, 2021, Vietnam’s Ministry of Health confirmed a total of 174,461 cases of COVID-19. However, 50,831 of the affected patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals. Vietnam has also recorded 2,327 deaths due to the pandemic. The latest community transmission cases have been reported from Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong, Tay Ninh, Dong Nai, and Long An among others.
Other Asian countries and Regions
Afghanistan faces two pandemics at the same time, Covid-19 and Polio. UNICEF is currently embarking on an urgent Polio vaccination program while the country is in talks with both China and Russia oversupplying COVID-19 vaccines. Government-imposed lockdowns increased conflict with the Taliban, and an overall lack of awareness of the disease has prevented many Afghani from obtaining treatment of either.
- Afghanistan has 150,240 cases and 6,898 deaths as of August 6.
- Afghanistan has 149,806 cases and 6,879 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Afghanistan has 149,361 cases and 6,864 deaths.
Bangladesh will receive 68 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from Gavi, which is committed to ensuring at least 20 percent of populations are inoculated. Each complete dose will cost about 200 Taka (US$2). The country is also in discussions with India concerning a further 30 million doses from the Serum Institute at about 450 Taka (US$5). Vaccinations are expected to commence in Q1 2021.
- Bangladesh has 1,335,260 cases and 22,150 deaths as of August 6.
- Bangladesh has 1,322,654 cases and 21,902 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Bangladesh has 1,309,910 cases and 21,638 deaths.
Bahrain has begun COVID-19 vaccinations for front line personnel using a joint Chinese-UAE Sinopharm product. Roll out among the general population is expected in Q1 2021.
- Bahrain has 269,848 cases and 1,384 deaths as of August 6.
- Bahrain has 269,737 cases and 1,384 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Bahrain has 269,617 cases and 1,384 deaths.
For specific updates concerning China, please click here.
For a complete overview of China’s vaccine availability please go here.
- China recorded 107 new cases on August 7, taking the total to 93,605.
- China reported 124 new cases on August 6, taking the total to 93,498.
- China recorded 85 new cases on August 5, taking the total to 93,374.
East Timor is receiving assistance from the Gavi Institute.
- As of August 6, East Timor has 11,386 cases and 26 deaths.
- East Timor has 11,225 cases and 26 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, East Timor has 11,145 cases and 26 deaths.
Hong Kong will provide COVID-19 vaccines free to all residents, with a vaccine being delivered in stages. The government has said it may take most of 2021 to reach 100 percent coverage for all citizens.
- Hong Kong has 12,005 cases and 212 deaths as of August 6.
- Hong Kong has 12,003 cases and 212 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Hong Kong has 11,997 cases and 212 deaths.
For a complete overview of India’s vaccine availability please go here.
- India has 31,894,483 cases and 427,401 deaths as of August 6.
- India has 31,855,783 cases and 426,785 deaths as of August 5.
- Our new India-specific updates can be found here.
Iran is jointly producing a COVID-19 vaccine with Russia, and the product has entered trials. National inoculation is expected to commence in September 2021.
- Iran has 4,092,671 cases and 93,086 deaths as of August 6.
- Iran has 4,057,758 cases and 92,628 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Iran has 4,019,084 cases and 92,194 deaths.
Iraq is currently in discussions with US company Pfizer concerning supplies of a COVID-19 vaccine. Supplies are expected in Q2 2021.
- Iraq has 1,696,390 cases and 19,087 deaths as of August 6.
- Iraq has 1,684,955 cases and 19,000 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Iraq has 1,673,084 cases and 18,938 deaths.
Japan is sourcing 145 million doses of vaccine from the United States and the UK and will be delivering them free of charge to all citizens commencing Q1 2021.
- Japan has 985,690 cases and 15,240 deaths as of August 6.
- Japan has 970,460 cases and 15,228 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Japan has 956,407 cases and 15,219 deaths.
Jordan is sourcing vaccines from Pfizer and expects to commence vaccinations from Q1 2021.
- Jordan has 775,782 cases and 10,105 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Jordan has 775,251 cases and 10,100 deaths.
- Jordan has 774,554 cases and 10,082 deaths as of August 4.
Kazakhstan has been developing its own vaccines with ‘Quazcovid’ being admitted by the WHO as a safe candidate. These are currently undergoing trials with a roll out expected in Q2 2021.
- Kazakhstan has 618,513 cases and 6,531 deaths as of August 6.
- Kazakhstan has 610,744 cases and 6,402 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Kazakhstan has 602,952 cases and 6,277 deaths.
All citizens, including expatriates, will receive COVID-19 vaccines for free. Kuwait is importing one million vaccines from Pfizer, 1.7 million from Moderna, and three million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines and will commence a nationwide program from January.
- Kuwait has 402,293 cases and 2,361 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Kuwait has 401,697 cases and 2,356 deaths.
- Kuwait has 400,979 cases and 2,351 deaths as of August 4.
Kyrgyzstan is sourcing vaccines from Russia with the Sputnik V vaccine expected to be rolled out in Q2 2021.
- Kyrgyzstan has 167,734 cases and 2,380 deaths as of August 6.
- Kyrgyzstan has 167,076 cases and 2,372 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Kyrgyzstan has 166,236 cases and 2,363 deaths.
Lebanon is sourcing vaccines from Pfizer and is expected to take deliveries from mid-February 2021.
- Lebanon has 568,505 cases and 7,932 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Lebanon has 567,044 cases and 7,926 deaths.
- Lebanon has 565,896 cases and 7,921 deaths as of August 4.
Macao is part of the Covax scheme and is expected to receive 1.4 million doses of vaccine. The product will cost Pataca 300 (US$40). Roll out is expected in late Q1 2021.
- As of August 4, Macau has 63 cases.
- Macau has 59 cases as of July 25.
- As of July 24, Macau has 58 cases.
The Maldives will receive vaccines under the Covax program and will receive enough products to reach 20 percent of its population. Roll out is expected in Q2 2021.
- The Maldives has 78,130 cases and 222 deaths as of August 6.
- The Maldives has 77,999 cases and 222 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, the Maldives has 77,895 cases and 222 deaths.
Mongolia is in discussions with Astra-Zeneca to purchase COVID-19 vaccines and is also part of the Covax scheme. Roll out is expected in Q2 2021.
- Mongolia has 171,097 cases and 841 deaths as of August 6.
- Mongolia has 169,851 cases and 836 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Mongolia has 168,673 cases and 833 deaths.
Nepal will source COVID-19 vaccines under the Covax program and will also purchase supplies from India. The rollout is expected from Q2 2021.
- Nepal has 710,509 cases and 10,019 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Nepal has 708,079 cases and 9,994 deaths.
- Nepal has 705,072 cases and 9,957 deaths as of August 4.
North Korea is expected to receive Covid-19 vaccines from China, with rumors that North Korean Leader Kim Jong-Un has already received treatment as part of medical trials.
- North Korea has reported its first case on July 25, the city of Kaesong is under lockdown.
Oman has sourced COVID-19 vaccines from Gavi and is buying additional supplies from Astra-Zeneca and Pfizer. Roll out will commence from January 2021 with each shot costing 10 Rial (US$24).
- Oman has 298,020 cases and 3,906 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Oman has 297,724 cases and 3,889 deaths.
- Oman has 297,431 cases and 3,877 deaths as of August 3.
Pakistan is also suffering from a Polio epidemic and is struggling with dealing with both. However, it has stated it will provide the vaccine for free with national inoculations to start from April 2021.
- Pakistan has 1,058,405 cases and 23,702 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Pakistan has 1,053,660 cases and 23,635 deaths.
- Pakistan has 1,047,999 cases and 23,575 deaths as of August 4.
Israel is currently negotiating with the UAE to provide 1.5 million doses of vaccine to Palestine. The product is expected to be the Russian Sputnik V treatment and should be available to Palestinians in Q2 2021.
- Palestine has 317,703 cases and 3,611 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Palestine has 317,534 cases and 3,609 deaths.
- Palestine has 317,404 cases and 3,609 deaths as of August 4.
Qatar has signed an agreement with Moderna to provide Covid-19 vaccines and has also signed deals with Pfizer and BioNTech. These will be made available from late Q1 2021.
- Qatar has 227,273 cases and 601 deaths as of August 6.
- Qatar has 227,055 cases and 601 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Qatar has 226,874 cases and 601 deaths.
A complete overview of the availability and production of Russian Covid-19 vaccines and costs can be found here.
- Russia has 6,402,564 cases and 163,301 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Russia has 6,379,904 cases and 162,509 deaths.
- Our new Russia-specific updates here.
Saudi Pharmaceutical Industries and Medical Appliances Corp. (SPIMACO) said last week that it had signed an agreement with the German biopharmaceutical company CureVac to provide Covid-19 vaccine. It plans to cover 70 percent of its population by the end of 2021 with treatment being available for free. The initial roll out is expected to be at the end of Q1 2021.
- Saudi Arabia has 531,935 cases and 8,311 deaths as of August 6.
- Saudi Arabia has 530,981 cases and 8,297 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Saudi Arabia has 529,995 cases and 8,284 deaths.
South Korea has reached a deal with AstraZeneca to purchase its coronavirus vaccine candidate and is in final talks with global drug-makers including AstraZeneca, Pfizer Inc, and Johnson & Johnson over their vaccines. It launched a preliminary review of AstraZeneca’s product in October for potential fast-track approval. Roll out is expected in Q1 2021.
- South Korea has 209,228 cases and 2,116 deaths as of August 7.
- South Korea has 207,406 cases and 2,113 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, South Korea has 205,702 cases and 2,109 deaths.
Sri Lanka is to receive 4.2 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from Gavi, enough to cover 20 percent of the population. It has not yet released information on when these will be made available.
- Sri Lanka has 324,223 cases and 4,919 deaths as of August 6.
- Sri Lanka has 321,429 cases and 4,821 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Sri Lanka has 318,775 cases and 4,727 deaths.
Taiwan has been developing its own vaccine and is also part of the Covax scheme. It has stated it will be able to manufacture enough of its own product for 50 percent population coverage with roll-out expected in Q1 2021.
- Taiwan has 15,753 cases and 791 deaths as of August 5.
- As of August 4, Taiwan has 15,742 cases and 791 deaths.
- Taiwan has 15,721 cases and 791 deaths as of August 3.
Turkey has purchased 50 million doses of China’s Cornavac, manufactured by Sinopharm. These will be made available for free to the most at-risk population, inoculations start on December 11. Other treatments will be purchased and made available via medical outlets during the year and sold at cost price, and are likely to include products from Pfizer and Russia.
- As of August 6, Turkey has 5,870,741 cases and 51,976 deaths.
- Turkey has 5,846,784 cases and 51,875 deaths as of August 5.
- Turkey has 5,822,487 cases and 51,767 deaths as of August 4.
United Arab Emirates
The UAE is expected to authorize the use of China’s Sinopharm vaccine which is nearing the end of its clinical trials in the Emirates. The UAE’s Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum was inoculated as part of the testing. Roll out is expected in Q1 2021. The UAE is also manufacturing the vaccine and hopes to produce between 75-100 million doses during the year.
- The UAE has 690,009 cases and 1,969 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, the UAE has 688,489 cases and 1,967 deaths.
- The UAE has 686,981 cases and 1,965 deaths as of August 4.
Uzbekistan has been trailing China’s Anhui Zhifei Longcom Biopharmaceutical vaccine in addition to vaccines made by China’s Sinopharm and Russia’s Sputnik V. Roll out is expected in Q1 2021.
- As of August 6, Uzbekistan has 134,826 cases and 916 deaths.
- Uzbekistan has 133,852 cases and 910 deaths as of August 5.
- Uzbekistan has 132,901 cases and 901 deaths as of August 4.
Yemen is suffering from war and diseases such as diphtheria, while local politicians have made wild claims that the country will develop its own COVID-19 vaccine. It is a member of the Gavi program and relief is likely to come from humanitarian sources.
- Yemen has 7,131 cases and 1,384 deaths as of August 6.
- As of August 5, Yemen has 7,104 cases and 1,383 deaths.
- Yemen has 7,096 cases and 1,380 deaths as of August 4.
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.